Tuesday, February 26, 2013

the talented, fabulous liesl!


Liesl Gibson is quite a creative sewing force to be reckoned with. Founder of three beautiful brands ~ Oliver + SLisette and Straight Stitch Society, Liesl is always presenting fresh, modern sewing patterns adored by all. With a degree in fashion design from the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York and time spent working for Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren, she had a wealth of knowledge and fantastic experience under her belt before launching her own companies. She's created quite a niche with her boutique brands and endlessly inspiring creative ideas and we're thrilled to have her teaching a super stylish Smocked Necklace workshop at the inaugural Makerie Sewing. Smocking can be used in so many wonderful ways once students learn the techniques and they will come away from this class armed and ready to add a special smocking flair to any project.

Get to know the lovely Liesl below! 

...................................................................................

What is your favorite food obsession right now? 
Ice cream will always be at the top of my list. I just can’t seem to help my sweet tooth, although it doesn’t really extend to cookies and candy. Just ice cream.
        
What did you want to be when you grew up? 
I always wanted to be an artist, and clothing design was an early obsession for me. A friend and I were designing clothes in a little notebook already in second grade.

What's for breakfast? 
Usually a small bowl of muesli with yogurt, milk, and fruit. But I like variety, too, and New York makes an awfully good bagel.

A wish that came true. 
I still can’t believe that I get to wake up in the morning and do something I love!

What risk are you glad you took? 
I really had no idea what I was getting into when I started Oliver + S, but I’m so glad that I did.

If you could learn a creative skill other than your profession, what would it be? 
Someday I’d like to have more time for weaving and knitting. I’m pretty much obsessed by all fiber arts, really.

A favorite gift you’ve received. 
Anything that demonstrates that the giver has put thought into the gift makes it meaningful to me.

A condiment you love. 
Vinegar! Balsamic, rice wine, it’s all good.

What book do you keep on your coffee table? 
Right now it’s Alexander McQueen, a book on color trends over the decades, and an out-of-print book of illustrations by Antonio Lopez that my husband scored for me in an ebay bidding war several years ago for Christmas. I adore Antonio’s work and am so excited that his work is currently being re-discovered.

What you love most about what you do. 
I love that I can help other people discover a love of sewing! It’s so rewarding to hear that I’ve helped other people learn to sew and gain confidence in their skills through our patterns. Plus, it’s amazing to see the darling clothes they make for their adorable kids!

The most challenging or difficult part about what you do. 
I find it very challenging to put my work aside at the end of the day. I love what I do, and there’s always something more to be done. I could just keep going if the day was longer.

_________ is at the top of my inspiration library. 
New York, baby!

Any tricks for finding life balance? 
Having a child, actually. She requires me to put aside my work and pay attention to her, and that’s been very healthy for me. There’s nothing like a cute kid to distract you from your work and take your mind off things.

Any trade secrets/words of wisdom you’d like to divulge? 
Sure, I keep learning fearlessness from my daughter. She attacks a blank page of paper with wild abandon, and she works with her mistakes without giving them a second thought. I think that’s a great lesson for the grown-ups.

...................................................................................

Thanks Liesl!

No comments:

Post a Comment