Tuesday, October 30, 2012

the ever-inspiring janine!


Words cannot express how inspired we are by Janine Vangool and UPPERCASE, the incredible magazine she publishes, edits and designs. (Yes ~ she does it all!) It's quite an honor to have her as a teacher at this year's Makerie retreat, as we've admired her for so long. We had a fabulous Skype session over the summer where she shared an amazing vision she had for a special Makerie project. I couldn't stop smiling as she painted the picture of what she envisioned and now we're bringing it to life ~ I can't believe it. I love many things about her idea, especially how it involves everyone at the retreat, not just the students who will be taking her class. But for those who will be taking her Crafting Content workshops, they will be gifted with the knowledge of curating and creating content during this collaborative weekend-long bookmaking experience. Through photography and writing, they will document the Makerie and its people and assemble the elements into a unique handmade, limited-edition commemorative book. Students will learn how to bind books using a hidden stapling technique that is perfect for art journals, photobooks and other projects you might be dreaming of. And if that wasn't enough, each student will be considered for future collaborations with UPPERCASE magazine and some of the content possibly published on the UPPERCASE blog or in future issues. How amazing is that? If there has been a book sitting in your own heart, this incredibly special opportunity to spend a day with Janine just might be what you're looking for.

Here's a little insight into what she's all about and a fabulous live interview here.


..............................................................................

What did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a little girl I wanted to be a botanist or geolomgist… I used to love drawing flowers in my sketchbook and reading little science books about rocks and copying the diagrams into my notebooks. Then I realized that I simply loved doing the layout of my sketchbooks and notebooks and realized that I really wanted to make books when I grew up. I also used to make mini magazines (it was called Crafts ‘n’ Things) and force my family to sign them out of my mini library.

A wish that came true.
My childhood with to make magazines and books has come true! As an adult I am so happy to be doing what I love.

..............................................................................

Thanks Janine!

No comments:

Post a Comment