Tuesday, December 4, 2012

sweet samantha!


I have adored Samantha Hirst and her work since the day I discovered her fabulous site ~ quite awhile ago. Her simple, modern approachable style, not to mention her warm and inviting way, is something I love and rightfully so, has caught the eye of fabulous boutiques around the country, like the coveted Terrain. We were so lucky she wanted to teach at the Makerie this year, as she's currently taking a 'creative sabbatical' (don't you love the thought of that?) and filling her days with cups of coffee with her husband, sharing magical moments with her children and truly giving herself the gift of time to work on new design ideas. Oh she's a woman after my own heart and I greatly admire how she recognized what she needed and took action by giving herself a breather from the fast pace of life we all seem to be living. It's such a special treat to have Sam teaching the art of block printing ~ Inky Fingers ~ in April so if you're at all interested in learning this technique (which can be applied in a gazillion ways!), this is a fabulous opportunity not to miss. Oh and as an extra special bonus, Samantha is designing our goodie bags this year and we can't wait! Get to know the sweet Sam below and if you do want to take her workshop in April, please don't delay, as her class have been very popular and spots are going fast.

................................................................................

What is your favorite food obsession right now?
avocados - in mango salsa, with hummus for lunch, on top of my tacos; if it can have avocado on/in it -it does.

What did you want to be when I grew up? 
a teacher

Whatʼs for breakfast?
granola with almond milk and blueberries, or alternately, a banana and chocolate chip cookie (donʼt tell my kids), and always two cups of coffee.

What you love most about what you do? 
The first time I pull a new print is always a surprise. I love that moment.

The most challenging part about what you do. 
Ink stains on my clothes.

Any tricks for finding life balance? 
I choose to focus on whatʼs important each day and try to find as much time as I can to breathe - whether that means a cup of tea in the afternoon, a quick swim after work, or sneaking in a few extra snuggles with my kids in the evening.

Any trade secrets? 
Thereʼs no such thing as the ʻrightʼ way to do something. Great art is created when people aren't afraid to break the rules.

................................................................................

Thanks Samantha!

No comments:

Post a Comment