Wednesday, September 19, 2012

we will all be changed



It's really hard to believe another season is upon us and I can't believe we're going into our third year! I've been thinking so much about this journey and wanted to share a few personal thoughts with you. When I first started the Makerie in 2011, I had no idea how it was all going to go. I jumped in with both feet (exhilarated & terrified at the same time!) and kept saying to myself, 'Just try one. That's all you have to do. Just one event and if it doesn't go as planned, you can move on with your life knowing you gave it your all.' And so I did. And it was really beyond my wildest dreams in countless ways. What I didn't think about until right after the inaugural Makerie was how was I going to do it again? I had been so focused on the details of everything our first year that it honestly never crossed my mind to think about doing another one. It was a funny thing and I found myself debating how to move forward, or not at all. I have always liked ending things on a high note. :) Ultimately I decided I had to try it again to prove to myself it wasn't just a wild dream (or a fluke). We held our second event last April and it was again, so much more than I ever imagined. I still can't get over the incredible, thoughtful, loving teachers, students, supporters and volunteers that congregated at Chautauqua in our beautiful Boulder, Colorado. As we head into our third season, I'm just filled with gratitude for each and every person who has helped shape the Makerie into what it is. I have always said this is something we are all creating together and I mean that with all my heart. I cherish everyone who has touched our event in any way, and it wouldn't be what it is without them, that's for certain. Putting together the Makerie is an ever-growing experience so thank you all for giving me the opportunity to learn, grow and change in ways I never knew. It's the most incredible honor to be able to create a place that gives the gift of creative time. We all need it so much. We can't wait for you to see what we have in store for 2013 (right around the corner!) so in honor of that, do take a few minutes to watch our brand new video by Kevin Von Qualen about this little event we love called the Makerie.

~xo

No comments:

Post a Comment