Friday, January 14, 2011

meet the darling Jessica!


Jessica was one of the first people I contacted about teaching at the Makerie! I had been following her sweet blog for quite some time, and after some back and forth emails regarding an adorable barrette order I had placed with her, I added a p.s. at the end of one of them and asked, "Would you ever be interested in teaching at a creative retreat?" And her response was, "Sounds sumptuous. I'd love to hear more!"

So here we are and couldn't be more excited to have her teaching debut with us this spring in Boulder! As you can oh so clearly see, Jessica's sense of style and originality is second to none. Her shoes are so sought after that they literally sell out in seconds when she lists them on her blog! Jessica built her company, which started as a hobby, as insatiable demand grew for her tiny peep toes, flowered ballet flats, and velvet spat boots. She creates many of her products by hand, but is also working with several manufacturers to transition her designs to firm-soled shoes. Joyfolie shoes have been featured by well-known magazines such as Cookie, Brides, and Pregnancy & newborn and rumor also has it that they may be offered by a large, well-known retailer in Fall 2011. We're so excited to hear who that lucky retailer will be!

But without further ado, get to know the darling Jessica a little more below.

..............................................

If you could start your own restaurant, what would it be?
I worked as a personal chef and had my own small company in my 20's so this is a good question for me! I would love to have a small cafe that has fresh, tasty breakfast... rich french press coffee, omelet stuffed crepes, homemade sesame granola, fresh berries. And fabulous lunches with homemade soups, salads with berries and gourmet cheeses, and interesting wraps and sandwiches.

Do you have any phobias?
Not really!

Your true indulgence.
Time to be creative for myself. I almost never do that... or time to repaint a piece of furniture or some other crafty house project.   

Hidden talents.
I know how to use a chop saw, wire a chandelier and work a power drill. I also went to seminary and studied Greek and Hebrew.   

What color shoes are you wearing right now?
Cream knit boots (they are like a glorified wedge flipflop with a sock glued on). I just bought them at Claire's for $10. Don't judge, but I really love that how comfy they are!

If you could give the world one piece of advice, what would it be?
Break your goals up into manageable steps. The life of your dreams in more feasible than you know!

What do you value most in other people?
Vulnerability. I like to connect with people on a real level. I would rather get into an honest debate with someone, than have someone be pleasant but never say how they really think and feel.

What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?
To be honest, I seldom consider failure an option. Failure is never a dead end, it just means, get up, dust yourself off, and try again... or maybe go about it in a slightly different way. 

..............................................

p.s. This is my little flower girl sporting the sweetest pair of Joyfolie shoes. :)


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful interview! I absolutely adore Jessica and love this insight into her mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our lives are a lot a like for I lived in Israel two times for I am trained in Ballet and Classic Israel dance. I may be dressed to the nines, but I will climb through junk to find that piece that I can imagine a jewel. My family shake their heads, but when I'm done they can't believe how it came out. I was also trained in clay and jewelry from a wonderful artist. It is so much fun to take someone's trash and make it into a true treasure. I promise it will be addicting! Tania Palmer

    ReplyDelete